Forum Suggestions

Feedback
Zin — 2015-04-03T02:02:41Z — #1

Very excited to contributing actively and frequently to the board. I have a suggestion that might be worth taking up.

Organize the forum into separate sub-forums. Have one for news, players, coaches, match-day threads, candidates, an off-topic section, transfer rumors. This will allow users to easily decipher between the various threads. Additionally, it will make for a much more uncluttered look.

I see that the topics have category designations, but I think clicking on the category then going to the thread might be more useful. If there became a link that said "most recent" that sorted the threads by most recently replied to, that might be helpful also.

Maybe have a look at www.tiki-taka.org/forums as an example of what I'm thinking about. For a non football forum, see: http://forums.totalwar.com/ It too is organized by section that you have to click on first, and then get to go to the various threads.

I haven't explored all of the functionality of the site yet, so some of these features may have been implemented already and I haven't noticed. I'm very excited for this success of this project.

Aagat — 2015-04-03T10:54:13Z — #2

Hi @Zin

We really appreciate your feedback and we are looking forward to see you active in the community.

The community is in really nascent state, so categorization is still in progress. We are making new categories based what type of new threads are posted in the forum. We will get much better organization over time.

As for the suggestion about having categories as main navigation/organizational elements, I don't know how I feel about it, This topic has been discussed to death internally and we ultimately opted to use current structure because it was much more relevant and user friendly.

For example when I log in to the community, what I really want to see is what has changed from the last time I was here. 'Topics' and 'Replies' are what I come to this community for. So we decided that the community should be built around content rather than some arbitrary categorization.

Here's an example of what I saw when I first logged in today.

As you can see, new content and new replies to the threads that I read are clearly marked and now I can decide which thread I want to read. This would not be possible with category based navigation and I'd have to 'explore' more pages to get to the content I want to read.

With that said, we haven't completely abandoned old way of doing things. You can see all categories at http://community.grup14.com/categories ( Click in Categories tab above content display ) and you can browse topics in one particular category/subcategory.

We also have filter just below the header that says ALL CATEGORIES It'll let you filter threads based on parent categories.

So long story short, categories are more of a tag than they are structure, we are still adding categories, what you see in your homepage is tailored to your habits and you can still have category based navigation if you click on Categories tab.

Hope you enjoy your time here.
Cheers.

Kishore — 2015-04-03T12:15:43Z — #3

Personally, i don't want any changes to be made to the forum. It's better this way #Slick

Imran — 2015-04-03T15:14:30Z — #4

A suggestion - though BBCode format approves table, but I think that option isn't implemented yet.

FlaFCB — 2015-04-03T15:20:42Z — #5

I like Zin's idea. So far there aren't many topics yet, but with time it can get disorganized and hard to find the topics...
The fisrt screen can be like that, some kind of hybrid. Or at least add some more categories.

Aagat — 2015-04-03T16:45:16Z — #6

Yes, the tables haven't been implemented yet. It's a substantial amount of work and wouldn't be used in 99.99% of the time so it's not really worth an effort given that our focus is in getting n+1th language version of website out. I can take a look at at when we are free, but this likely won't be implemented.

You can always use filters or click on category tab to see category based views. And yes, we will be adding categories as we go.

Cheers!